Ledoux's Israel School





First day!

I wrote this from Ledoux’s new school- and I am so thankful that I can be in her classroom until she feels comfortable enough for me to leave.  The class policy is parents can stay as long as they like- and they actually encourage it.  Only a handful of the parents have done it- which surprises me- but most of the students are probably pretty used to change (being they are all international expats). Ledoux still needs to know I am present, even if she cannot see me, so I grab coffee in the cafe upstairs, have a seat in the garden, and wait until class is over. (Its only half days the first two weeks, which is nice).  Today she has only popped over to see my face once.  This makes me very happy, as it means she is starting to adjust to her new classroom. 


Play area
Another play area





Chicken/Rooster coop

The campus is Prek- Senior year and is absolutely gorgeous. The school is an American school, meaning they celebrate American holidays and follow the American school calendar but also observe all Israeli Holidays, and everything is in English. Green gardens everywhere, a swimming pool, a workout room, cafeterias, and a library.  There are open swim times so we can bring Ledoux to go swimming, and we can go to the library anytime to check out books and bring them home.  About 600 students total on campus, made up of different countries, cultures, and beliefs.  In Ledoux’s class, we have a student who just moved from Vietnam and knows no english, a student who just moved from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, a couple Israeli children, an Aussie, multiple children from Europe and Japan, and a couple of us Arizona-ans. (And I am sure more that I don't know yet!)  There are 3 teachers and 19 children, so ratios are pretty good.  


The "bus"

Waving bye to me! (tear!)





















The school offers transportation throughout Tel Aviv and surrounding areas on busses.  The little kids are on busses only for preschool- 1st grade with only one stop- about 1/2 mile from our house (it is the reason we chose the home we did!) The bus picks up at the spot every morning and goes directly to the school (about a 15 minute drive) and returns to that same spot in the afternoon.  No other stops, which I love. We eased Ledoux into taking the bus- and she LOVES it.  I had in my head that the bus would be like in America- big yellow busses.  I was terrified at the idea of my child taking the bus at her age, but almost all of her class takes the bus.  And its not your typical bus.  The children have full on motor coach/touring busses- air conditioned, the most comfortable seats with seat belts, and the sweetest old Israeli man that is the bus monitor.  He knows all the little ones names, greets, them, hugs them- its a great way to start and end the day. There is no doubt riding on the bus is probably safer than me driving- busses get to drive in their own lane so crazy drivers and traffic is never an issue.  I think I know it is harder for me. Seeing my baby board a bus makes my mama heart sad and happy- sad she is growing up so fast, but happy and proud of how independent she is learning to be.  When she gets off the bus, we sit by the beach and have a snack before walking home. Its a nice way to end the day, and she always has a story to tell me! Yesterday, it went something like this:

Ledoux: Mama, I need to go home and have my diarrhea!

Me: Your Diarrhea? Is everything ok? Does your tummy hurt? 
Ledoux: Yes mom, my friend has diarrhea and I need it too!  I have it at home, I need to see it!
Me: How do you know this? 
Ledoux: I have diarrhea at home mama, I will show you!
--we run into the house, thinking she needs to use the potty and my mind is freaking out thinking she is sick (and also wondering why/how she knows her friend has diarrhea?!)
Ledoux: See mama, here is my diarrhea! (As she comes running out of her room)
Me: Oh my goodness, you mean your DIARY!

Turns out, she and her friend talked about their DIARYs on the bus- and Ledoux couldn't wait to come home and write a story in hers, just like her friend does.  LOL!









Her actual classroom is a true Reggio program- child directed and play based.  The have a garden (they are going to be planting flowers and veggies in a couple weeks) and will tend to it, and eventually, prepare some of their foods as a class.  They also have a chicken coop and roosters- and you can hear the roosters from anywhere on campus.  They have weekly dance (creative movement) and yoga classes (how awesome is that?!) and trips the library.  Their snacks are fed family style- and are a variety of local foods and they can try- and everything is served on glass plates, bowls, glasses, etc.  Its such a fun, progressive environment.  One teacher is from England, another from Boston, and a third from somewhere in Europe but was a student in the school years ago.  She loves her teachers, and I do too.  They are always on the floor interacting, talking, and engaging with the children.  They are super responsive to parents- and have a blog that they use to update the parents (and grandparents, wink wink) with whats going on in the classroom.  Last week, she was so excited that they she got to go to the "movie theater" with her teacher.  Turns out, it wasn't a movie theater, but a school assembly and the pre-schoolers got to go. It was a pretty big deal to her!


Quiet time- Ledoux is in the bottom left corner in the green dress- not napping of course :)


Lunch time is in the cafeteria where the children have a menu and meals prepared for their class every week, or parents can choose to bring their lunch.  I am pretty excited to not have to make lunch, not going to lie!  I chose to have Ledoux each lunch at school- to encourage her to start trying some new foods.  After lunch is quite time- only 45 minutes where they can take a snooze or read books on their mats.  Since Ledoux is pretty anti-nap (sad mommy face!) she will enjoy being able to choose to do some quiet activities.


First day coming home on the bus!


Brought a library book home!


Last, I am the room parent! Woot Woot!  Not sure what this is going to entail or what I have gotten myself involved with, but I am happy to be able to be involved in her class.  The director asked if I would help in parent involvement in the classroom, and helping with some workshops to bring parents together, and I obviously was thrilled.  I have two loves in my life- recruiting and early childhood.  Glad I get to be involved in one still! 



On a final note: I think I want to be 4 again and go to Ledoux’s school.  Plus, riding that bus looks dreamy.

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Following Our Arrow. Design by Fearne.